Camp Fire is a community-based non-profit organization that builds caring, confident, youth and future leaders. When it began in 1910, it was the first integrated, non-sectarian organization for girls in the United States. Camp Fire has evolved into a network of 70 councils nationwide, and together we serve over 750,000 boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 18 every year with community-based experiential learning programs that are socially responsible and environmentally focused.
Camp Fire Heart of the Hawkeye has served well over 500,000 youth since opening in 1913, making us one of the most successful and deeply rooted youth-development organizations in Central Iowa.
Young people want to shape the world
Camp Fire provides the opportunity
to find their spark, lift thier voice, and
discover who they are.
In Camp Fire, it begins now.
Light the fire within
We employ 12 core values that guide the development of programs and the organization as a whole:
- We believe that children and youth are our most precious resources.
- We believe in an approach to youth development that builds assets and empowers individuals.
- We believe the best youth development occurs in small groups where youth are actively involved in creating their own learning.
- We are committed to co-education, providing opportunities for boys and girls to develop together.
- We provide caring, trained mentors to work with children and youth.
- We are inclusive, welcoming children, youth and adults regardless of race, religion, socioeconomic status, ability, sexual orientation or other aspect of diversity.
- We believe in the power of nature to awaken a child's senses, curiosity, and desire to learn.
- We foster leadership, engaging children and youth to give service and make decisions in a democratic society.
- We provide safe, fun and nurturing environments for children and youth.
- We enrich parents' and other adults' lives by expanding their skills and encouraging them to share their talents and build relationships with children and youth.
- We respond to community needs with our programs and expertise.
- We advocate on behalf of children, youth and families.